Sunday, September 5, 2010

Family Camping

As always - we managed to scrape out a little time for a family trip.  We headed up Smithfield Canyon for a few nights.  We enjoy living so close to the National Forest, it makes small trips like this possible.  Matt and Crenda and the boys came up for the evening.  As always, it is great fun to see the boys.  I brought up cupcakes, since I missed their birthdays.  Logan - managed to con Aunt Sarah out of 2 cupcakes - but all he wanted was the frosting.  I have to say though, watching Andrew, was an education.  I have never watched anyone eat the cupcake OUT FROM UNDER the frosting!  It was amazing.  We had to give Crenda a bit of a hard time, as she wore white pants up.  Needless to say, they were no longer white by the end of the evening.

The next best part, was watching the power struggle, and yes - power struggle, between Joseph and Matt.  Its not a side of Joseph that comes out very often.  It took over 45 min for then to get the fire started.  Which I found incredibly amusing.   Both insisting that their way was the right way.   Needless to say, all the other fires Joseph built took right off, and I'm sure that any that Matt builds do the same, but I don't think I'm ever going to let them do it together again.

The rest of the trip was fairly normal.    The only other fun part, was when I was making pancakes.  I typically use a gallon ziplock bag, to mix in and then clip the end to pour out.  Well...I managed to cut  a hole in both ends - and instead of pouring out one pancake - I poured out the whole bowl.  I'm grateful that the griddle I take camping has a lip.  I managed to cook one GIANT pancake - 14" square.  Flipping it was a bit of a task.  Had to break it up a bit, but I managed.   Didn't taste to bad, either.

Joseph took some pictures of the stars, with the tripod.  I'm not sure how they came out - he said something about Venus in a crescent..... but all I could see was a bunch of dots.

Anyway - more to come!  School has started and I'm sure that there will much more to come.

0 comments:

 
;